Tuesday, April 28, 2009

....in which the mobile e-book needs Mr Whoopee's 3-D Blackboard

You would think by now I'd have become a convert to reading e-books on an iPhone or BlackBerry. I mean come on,

  • I'm an avid reader, I generally am working through two or three books at a time, and there's always a book on my nightstand
  • I'm certainly not technophobic....I am on my laptop most of the day and being in the smartphone app development business I generally have a BlackBerry and iPhone with me most of the time
  • I travel fairly often and hate to carry more baggage than absolutely necessary, but always take a book or two
  • I already do a lot of reading on my smartphone, I subscribe to a good twenty or more blogs or newsfeeds which I check on almost daily
  • I have a vested interest in promoting and using smartphone apps myself, even to the point of making myself use them when they aren't always productive for me.
So why is it that it is the year 2009 and despite owning every smartphone manufactured since the dawn of time I am still happily doing my part in deforesting the planet by ordering more paper-based books every month?

As a person deeply committed to the success of smartphones and mobile applications, this question bothers me, so every six months or so I try once again to get past my inability to enjoy reading on my mobile device. Now I have not yet tried Amazon's Kindle, although I've heard good things about it, and I suppose someday I will break down and buy one, its kind of inevitable. But the success or non-success of Kindle doesn't bother me so much. My real nagging question is why can't I seem to get hooked on e-books in the first place?

About a month ago I read where Amazon had released a Kindle-compatible reader app for the iPhone. "Aha!" I figured, "this will not only give me a chance to try out the Kindle purchase process, but maybe it will also finally wean me off of my paper book habit!"

So I downloaded the app to my iPhone, and within an hour I had purchased a couple of books on Amazon.

To give credit where credit is due, the purchase and downloading process could not have been simpler. I selected some titles I was interested in on amazon.com, purchased them, and literally within minutes the titles appeared on my iPhone in the Kindle app. Very painless. Couldnt be easier. So far so good. Now I can read whenever and wherever I want!

More than a month later, I haven't gotten past page 20 of either of the two books I purchased!

How can this be? I swear I have given it the old college try several times now. And its not that the books didn't turn out to be any good - I have since purchased and read both books in paper-based formats and enjoyed them. And its not even about eye-strain - honestly I haven't even been able to force myself into a long enough reading session with an e-book to worry about eye-strain.

I wish I had an explanation, but I don't - my latest attempt at e-book reading was about as (un)successful as my similar tries with my BlackBerry, as well as various Windows Mobile and Palm PDA's and smartphones over the years. The purchase process this time definitely was improved, but somehow the reading part (which is the whole point) just isn't working for me.

Here are some theories:

1. The smartphone form factor is just not suited for long-form reading. Jeff Bezos was interviewed on Charlie Rose earlier this year about the new Kindle 2, and Bezos was adament that the Kindle screen and body are designed the way they are because it provides a pleasurable reading experience. I believe he must be right about this, reading anything more than a short news clip on my iPhone just doesn't seem pleasurable at all.

2. The small screen just doesn't allow the book to become immersive enough. To enjoy a book you really have to be able to lose yourself in its pages, to the point where you don't even think about turning the pages themselves, it just happens as part of your devouring of the books contents. On an iPhone, there just isn't enough content on any one page to allow you to lose yourself in the story before you have to "turn the page". Even the smallest paperback books have way more on the printed page than can fit on a single iPhone screen.

The general sensation I get when I try to read a book on an iPhone is like if I was trying to read a sentence where I was only able to see one word at a time. Yes I could read that sentence and at the end even comprehend what the sentence meant. But reading that way is much too mechanical, you can't really soak up enough of the content at any one time to give your brain enough to chew on before you have to get back into the mechanical page turning part.

Yes I am aware that there are people out there who are enjoying e-books on their BlackBerry or iPhone. Unfortunately I'm not one of them, and its kinda disappointing because if enough people enjoyed reading e-books, it would be another really great reason for more people to own one of these wonderful devices. I suppose if I was shipwrecked on desert island with nothing but my iPhone and a bunch of e-books, yes I'd learn to enjoy reading that way as best I could. But with real books as an alternative in real life, I just don't see it.

Way back, probably before any of you were born, there was an old cartoon tv show Rocky and Bullwinkle, which had many wonderful and funny characters. One of the characters was professor Phineas J Whoopee (aka "Mr. Whoopee") who would use his magical 3-dimensional blackboard to explain various scientific principles to Tennesee Tuxedo (a penguin) and his buddy Chumley (a walrus). Mr. Whoopee's 3-d blackboard was small enough to put in your pocket, but when you took it out you could stretch it and resize it to be as big as you wanted.

I solemnly promise, as soon as Apple announces a version of Mr. Whoopee's 3-D Blackboard, I will definitely give this e-book thing another try.

Glenn

37 comments:

保險 said...

Happy New Year~~!!!............................................................

touch said...

A liar is not believed when he speaks the truth. ....................................................

與發 said...

廢話不多,祝你順心~^^........................................

于名于倫 said...

憤怒,是片刻的瘋狂。..................................................

YoungW21087 said...

TAHNKS FOR YOUR SHARING~~~VERY NICE.................................................

裕以 said...

I love readding, and thanks for your artical.........................................

CasandraC文行 said...

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.......................................................

淑娟 said...

thank you for you to make me learn more,thank you∩0∩ ........................................

韋于倫成 said...

上來逛逛,既來之,打聲招呼,留言支持一下囉!祝你一切平安!........................................

雅伯 said...

85cc卡通成人片 av免費視訊 尋夢網聊天室 免費成人 高雄交友網 女優寫真網站 性感影片 歐美 自拍 ut聊天室 女女愛愛 情趣桃園 成人網站 少女自拍 av影城 台灣a片免費看 情色漫畫 色情"" 一夜情 383 18禁 玩美女人 電眼美女 辣妹性感 人妻相簿, 激情熟女 影音視訊聊天室 視訊聊天 a圖片免費看 寫真免費影片 85cc成人圖片 杜雷斯成人微風 免費視訊 視訊聊天室 自拍性愛貼圖 援交妹拍影片 情人趣味 免費線上影片 av免費影片觀賞 洪爺影城如何下載 大奶色情影片 520sex 成人片下載 新任巨乳女教師奈奈下 性愛光碟 後宮電影院+入口 限制級 0204 性愛免費看 歐美正妹走光照

柏勳 said...

A good medicine tastes bitter. ..................................................

彥君彥君 said...

在你一無所有的時候 是誰在陪伴你 他便是你最重要的人 ............................................................

ShilaLong嘉雯 said...

you have a very successful business............................................................

BryannaR22369 said...

xh美色網 免費a片下載嘟嘟情人色網影片 av,sex520免費影片 完全免費視訊聊天 777美女dvd辣妹視訊 免費視訊celia aio交友視訊愛情館 西門慶成人論壇 台中酒店S援交 sex888影片分享區高中生援交 一葉情貼影片區 1314視訊 情人線上aa片試看嘟嘟 情人視訊網a 妹妹視訊 情色網成人電影 xxxholic次元魔女 成人文學小弟弟貼影片區 亞亞成人館 ut成人聊天室 微風成人 go2av免費看影片 104黑色會美眉自慰 日本同志色教館情色文學成人小說 34c視訊辣妹美女sex888免費電影 情色視訊論壇 0204貼圖區免費色情電影 成人貼圖站 交友ggo 免費影片下載a gogo2sex日本 拓網交友視訊美女 080情人網伊利論壇 一本道 a片 東京熱免費成人影片觀賞 交友ggoo 夜未眠影片中心 34c情人視訊網 一夜情性 情色視訊 美女 亞洲禁果名模影城 日本av論壇 台南視訊34c美女館 bt論壇交友網成人情色視訊妹 免費情人視訊 性愛電影85cc 聊天室交友whei 38girl視訊美女 aa免費影片 獨秀視訊聊天室 av730美眉共國 辣妹哈啦聊天室

志維 said...

每一粒厄運的種子,卻包孕著未來豐盛的果實......................................................................

皇銘 said...

初次造訪,安安^^.................................................................

GlenS_Mielke12嘉偉17 said...

Pen and ink is wits plough. .................................................................                           

峻帆峻帆峻帆 said...

河水永遠是相同的,可是每一剎那又都是新的。.................................................................

雅慧雅慧 said...

人不能像動物一樣活著,而應該追求知識和美德............................................................

李豪湖仁陳堅豪 said...

It takes all kinds to make a world.............................................................

賢林賢林 said...

好棒的地方 我一定要常來~~~^^~..................................................................

宥妃宥妃 said...

感謝不吝分享您的心得............................................................

承蘋承蘋 said...

As a man sows, so he shall reap...................................................................

潘凱花潘凱花 said...

好的開始並不代表會成功,壞的開始並不代表是失敗............................................................

思恬 said...

真正仁慈的人,會忘記他們做過的善行,他們全心投入現在的工作,過去的事已被遺忘。..................................................

琬安琬安 said...

good, excellent, nice job!!..................................................................

謝俊柯凡豐德 said...

rain before seven; fine before eleven.............................................................

鄭雅雯 said...

來看你囉~加油~~!!............................................................

家唐銘 said...

All good things come to an end.............................................................

吳沛黃以富民 said...

Many a little makes a mickle..................................................................

怡靜怡靜怡靜怡雯 said...

No pains, no gains..................................................................

冠陳儒 said...

回應是最大的支持^^y~~~甘吧嗲............................................................

tongtong said...

人生匆匆-把握當下,支持鼓勵~事事如意~..................................................

江趙雲虹趙雲虹仁昆 said...

真得很不錯的blog,留言加油!..................................................................

恩宛玲如 said...

臨淵羨魚,不如退而結網。.. ... ............................................................

盛春成 said...

所有的資產,在不被諒解時,都成了負債............................. ....................................

Mobile Application Development said...

Thanks for sharing nice information about mobile e-book. Mobile Application Development for iPhone development and Android Mobile Application Development. Awesome post.